Bote's Railfan Links
Back to home page
Updated 2012.12.07 (deletions of dead sites)
Groups and Societies
- Florida Live Steamers
- Operating 1/8th scale live steam excursions around Tradewinds Park in northern Broward County, Florida.
- ACL-SAL Historical Society
- for Atlantic Coast Line and Seaboard Air Line enthusiasts. A large and thriving group.
- South Florida Railway Museum
- A great bunch occupying the Deerfield Beach Seaboard Air Line passenger station, still in service; extensive model layouts with building and operating sessions.
- FEC Key West Extension -- Overseas Railroad
- FEC photos by Tom Byrne
- Great for modelers of the F.E.C. line
- FEC Track Guide
- Lists mileposts and other info for the Florida East Coast line between Jacksonville and Miami
- Florida Rails On-line Museum
- good historical briefs on the roads that served and serve Florida
- Railroad Crossings
- Brett Wirick's page honoring F.E.C. power
- Florida Big Bend railroading site, a weeeeeee bit dated
- Scott Dunlap's Family of Mid-Atlantic Pages
- TONS of links and reference information, especially for modelers. Browse the site deeply.
The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Network
- CSX Timetables
- KILLED BY CSX BLOOD-SUCKING LAWYERS; anything and everything you could possibly want to know about CSX routes, signals, services, etc.
- Dale's Alabama Rail Site
- NS action from Birmingham, AL to Chattanooga, TN
- Tony Hill's site; hey I didn't name it, I just like it! "Rail tours" listing directions to photo and viewing sites along popular rail lines; great for visitors to strange territories.
- Jim's Railroad Page
- GM&O lover, plus pages for southeastern shortlines
- Mainlines East!
- Kevin Andrusia's "Florida Color" pages
- Trackside Motels
- Traveling? Stay near the tracks with this definitive listing of hotels and motels near the tracks. Contribute your own listings.
- NS Train Schedule Website
- Alex Willis' site with NS and CN train symbols, and more
- Railfan Network
- tons of links to railfan sites for prototype and modeling all over; host site is primarily focused on upstate New York
- Rail Ring
- A web ring for railroad sites of all kinds
- exhaustive (and exhausting?) list of links to anything related to railroads; huge repository of sites.
- SBC/Prodigy Trains community
- Merger with SBC-Yahoo transformed this into a Web bulletin board system (bbs).
- Southern Railway Railfan
- For fans of the Southern Railway Co.
- Discussion forum and photo presentation board
- nothing more than the "most popular railroad site on the Internet"; see for yourself
- The magazine, I presume
- Kent Weissinger's MSTS A-line route
- (where did it go??) project building the ACL route for MicroSoft Train Simulator
- Kent Weissinger's MSTS page
- custom routes for MicroSoft Train Simulator; Maria's Pass featured
- Sebastian Frey's Train Simulator page
- German and English language tutorials on MSTS
- Train Artisan
- unbelievable screen captures of units created with MicroSoft Train Simulator; must see to believe!
- links to many commercial and hobbyist add-ons for various train simulator packages
- Air Brakes
- technical and historic discussion of the operation of railroad air brakes; very educational
- The Carferries of Ludington, MI
- Photos and history of the ferries that used to carry rail cars across Lake Michigan, including the S.S. Badger
- Five Chime Consultants
- Railroad air horn experts; specifications and sample sound clips
- Market Station - You Know You're A Railfan When...
- (it's dead, Jim); humorous ditties about railfans
- Maps of Railroads
- Library of Congress' collection of railroad maps 1828-1900
- National Militant Railfan Organization
- North American Railroad Frequencies
- listings of frequencies by railroad and frequency
- The Pelican, Mississippi River ferry service, Yazoo & Mississippi Valley Railroad, Helena Arkansas
- Railroad Empire - CTC board (js)
- many discussion forums with various categories
- Thermite Welding
- brief discussion of thermite welding used to fuse rail sections together; University of Illinois, Urbana Campus
- US Railroad Map Software
- displays current and historical maps
- American Orient Express Rail Journeys
- luxury rail journeys featuring historical and recreational stops
- B&O Railroad Museum
- located in Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.A., Where It All Began; they could certainly use all the support they can get to repair the roundhouse roof which caved in under heavy snow in February, 2003; this is a national historic landmark
- CSX Transportation
- Florida East Coast Railway
- official home of Florida East Coast Railway
- Mt. Dora Scenic Railway
- (dead, but might be making a comeback)
- National Museum of Transport, St. Louis
- great place with lots of railroad cars of all kinds; right next to an active mainline
- Operation Lifesaver
- striving to eliminate loss of life and property from railroad grade crossing collisions
- Tri-Rail Information Page (southeast Florida)
- UPRR System Map